Conveniently located to serve Atlanta, Metro Atlanta, and Dunwoody
We recommend a broad-spectrum (covers UVA and UVB rays) sunscreen with at least an SPF of 30.
Use it daily! 80% of all skin cancers occur on the head and neck, mostly due to day-to-day exposure to the sun that we do not really think about.
- Put in on in the morning after you brush your teeth or shave
- Do not forget the backs of your hands, forearms and upper chest if these areas are exposed
- If you have short hair, be sure to apply to ears and back of neck
- Consider a lip block (many varieties of “chapstick” have sunblock)
Waterproof sunscreen will be a better choice if you are likely to be perspiring or swimming. Be sure to apply waterproof sunscreen to dry skin (prior to swimming/perspiring) in order for it to bind to the skin correctly.
Recommended Waterproof Sunscreens:
- Coppertone Sport (spray on version available)
- Pre-Sun or Pre-Sun Ultra
- Aveeno “Continuous Protection” Active
- Banana Boat Sport
- Sport or Sport Face
- Ultra Sheer
Moisturizers often have sunscreen “built in”. If you already use a daily moisturizer in the morning, just be sure to choose a product that has sunscreen in it.
Recommended Moisturizers With Sunscreen:
- Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer with Parsol 1789
- Oil of Olay (with UV protection)
- Aveeno Products
- Eucerin Daily Protective Lotion
- Lubriderm Daily UV
- Healthy Skin
- Daily Defense (tinted or untinted)
Parsol 1789 is a sunscreen agent that blocks a broader spectrum of ultraviolet rays. It is particularly helpful if you are very fair skinned, outdoors a lot, or if you want to minimize the aging effects of sunlight. (Look for it on the label.) Physical blockers such as titanium or zinc oxide also provide broader UVA coverage. “Mexoryl” and “Helioplex” are two new agents that stabilize Parsol and help it last longer.
Mexoryl containing sunblock: Mexoryl containing sunblocks may do a better job of blocking UVA (the “tanning/freckling” and “wrinkling” rays)
- LaRoche-Posay Anthelios SX – available by the pharmacy register at CVS drugstores
These are just some of the many excellent brands available. The most important idea is that you use sunscreen regularly.